One of the verses I quite like on God’s invitation (and you know there are so many invitations from God in the Scriptures) is the one found in Isaiah 1:18
“Come now, and let us REASON together.” says the LORD, “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, they shall be as wool…”
What! Scarlet to white-as-snow? Crimson to white-as-wool? Cool! That is really mind-boggling and beyond human reasoning! But I have come to believe that is exactly the way God’s “reasoning” works. Mind-boggling! (in human terms).
I was sharing last week of how we who believe in Jesus, have all received FAITH as a gift from God through the righteousness of Jesus Christ. (2 Peter 1:1). A faith that is more precious than gold. A faith to keep till the last breath of life and confidently declare, like Paul, Ï have kept the faith.” Here is some more reasoning that we find in this chapter.
Three Reasons to bear His Fruit (2 Peter 1: 2-4)
If we continue in the same Chapter (2 Peter 1: 2 onwards), we see we have
- Grace and Peace is MULTIPLIED in the knowledge of Jesus Christ
- Divine Power has GIVEN us ALL THINGS that pertain to life and Godliness through the knowledge of Jesus Christ
- We are partakers of His divine nature because we have been GIVEN exceedingly GREAT and precious PROMISES through Him
Because of these THREE REASONS, we can make every effort to ADD to faith, (which we have initially received as a GIFT from God through the righteousness of Jesus Christ, as in verse 1), these 7 things in our life.
- Brotherly kindness (mutual affection)
These things are really like the fruit of the Spirit that grows in us from inside out. And you know that no tree labors to produce fruit; it is the gardener who labors! It is God who gives the increase. We as branches simply ABIDE in the vine – Jesus Christ and grow in the knowledge of Him (and not the knowledge of how many branches fail to bear fruit!).
Two Things We will NOT be (2 Peter 1:8)
The fruit HAPPENS because of the knowledge of Jesus Christ. In Him we live and move and have our being. He is the author and finisher of our faith. Look upon Him!
- We will not be barren in the knowledge of Jesus Christ
- We will not be unfruitful in the knowledge of Jesus Christ
One Reason NOT Having His Fruit (2 Peter 1:9)
And finally Peter, in his epistle here, gives only one reason for lacking fruit in our life.
- One who lacks fruit has FORGOTTEN that he was cleansed from his old sins.
All is well in the knowledge of Jesus Christ our Lord. He is the one who supports us, nourishes us, strengthens us. Our heavenly Father is the one who lifts us up, that we may bear more fruit. (John 15: 2).
There’s a song we used to sing in our childhood days which goes like this:
- I’ve found a new way of living,
- I’ve found a new life divine;
- I’ve found the fruit of the Spirit,
- By abiding – abiding in the Vine.
- Abiding in the Vine, abiding in the Vine
- Love. Joy, Health, Peace – He has made them mine!
- I’ve found prosperity, power and victory
- Abiding, abiding in the Vine.
May Grace and Peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of Jesus Christ. Amen.